I’ve been on the fermented food train for a while. Taking care of my digestive health by eating traditionally prepared cultured foods has supported my lifestyle in so many ways. Fermented foods have helped strengthen my digestion, cleared my skin and have played a big role in reducing my PMS symptoms.
In high school I lived on sugar and took countless rounds of antibiotics. This left my digestive tract in need of some deep healing and love. When I learned a simple sauerkraut recipe several years ago I began eating it daily at the suggestion of a Naturopathic doctor. To be honest I didn’t love the taste of it that much in the beginning, but I read tons of research about the benefits and I couldn’t ignore them.
For years I’ve kept it simple with cultured veggies like cabbage and preserved lemons. When I figured out how to make my own coconut yogurt, that was a game changer! This felt like next level fermented foods and I couldn’t believe how easy it was. Eventually, I decided it was time to start making my own coconut water kefir. Now we have this healing elixir in our fridge all of the time.
Here are just some of the benefits of coconut water kefir:
- – Stops your cravings for sugar.
– It aids in the digestion of all food.
- – It has a tonifying effect on the intestines, even flattening the abdomen!
- – It appears to cleanse the liver. In Chinese medicine the liver rules the skin, eyes, and joints. Coconut water kefir eases aches and joint pains. Many people report having a prettier complexion. They also see any brown liver spots on their skin fading away and skin tags, moles, or warts drying up and disappearing.
- – It contains high levels of valuable minerals, including potassium, natural sodium, and chloride, which explains why the hair, skin and nails become stronger and have a prettier shine.
- – It appears to have a beneficial, cleansing effect on the endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries). Women find that their periods are cleaner and healthier; some who had experienced early menopause have found this important monthly cleansing returning again.
- – It increases energy and gives you an overall feeling of good health.
Source: Body Ecology
Coconut Water Kefir
1 & 1/2 quart fresh coconut water (3-4 young coconuts)
1 packet kefir starter (I like the one from Body Ecology)
Pour coconut water into a sauce pan. Turn on very low heat and bring to 92 degrees. Check the temperature with a thermometer or dip a clean pinky finger into the water. It should feel not too hot or cold, very neutral like your own body temperature.
Mix in the kefir starter with a wooden spoon and pour into a clean glass jar. Cover and let sit out at room temperature for 36 hours. Ideal temperature is 70-75 degrees. If your room is cold place the kefir in an insulated storage container.
Once it’s fermented it will taste slightly tangy, have a little fizz and be cloudy in color. Store up to 3 weeks in the fridge. Drink 1/4 cup daily for maximum health benefits.
Add a squeeze of your favorite citrus fruit to switch up the flavor or a teaspoon of chia seeds for an energy and nutrient boost!
Do you drink coconut water kefir? Please share your experiences with us!
Ashley Neese is a bold soul who empowers women to take good care of themselves. Her holistic offerings, women’s classes, and lifestyle blog guide spirit seekers towards bringing their whole being into each moment so they can heal and be at peace. Ashley works with women all over the world and loves sharing self care tips, spiritual musings, and creative recipes on her blog and Instagram. Ashley has been featured in The Chalkboard Mag, Freunde von Freunden and Pure Green Magazine and is a wellness editor for The Everygirl. Her private healing practice is located in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.