You know the drill: New year, new goals, and a ton of motivation. You’re probably setting out to drop those chocolatey holiday pounds and tone up, but by you might notice that by week three your fire lightly starts to fade away and you’re back to the drawing board. Lucky you, I won’t let that happen to you this time around. This New Year’s Resolution Bowl is going to do just the trick to keep you and your goals in check throughout the entire year.
The key to following through to reach your goals in 2015 will be to stick to something that you’re able to create a habit out of. Hence, making this easy peasy salad.
This is the bowl that you will make for your lunch date with friends, bring to work, and probably throw together so you can enjoy it on your day off too. You can get creative with it and let your own style shine through because the truth is, there is no one New Year’s Resolution Bowl. Your bowl is your resolution and will vary based on your goals, preferences, and mood. So since I want you to have a plan to reach your resolution goal, I created an outline for you to follow.
Here’s the blueprint for your bowl:
– Greens: Kale, Spinach, Romaine, Arugula, Swiss Chard, Sprouts, Mesclun Mix, etc. Bulk up with your base and don’t be shy with this step.
– Veggies: Carrots, Tomato, Cucumber, Broccoli, Cabbage, Asparagus, Bell Peppers, Mushroom, Green Beans. These are just ideas, but you can use any 4 veggies of your choice preferably raw or steamed.
– Protein: Tofu, Tempeh, Beans, Lentils, Hard Boiled Egg, Egg Whites, Hummus, Wild Salmon. Fill up on one serving of your favorite clean, lean protein. Be sure to not to skip this one, since it’ll keep you full.
– Carbs: Quinoa, Bulgur, Barley, Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Farro, Millet, Beans, Sprouted Grain Bread. Energize with 1/4 cup of clean carbs. Carbohydrates are not the enemy, so don’t be afraid to add them in. You will feel fuller, longer and have more energy to take on the day and reach your goals. Depriving yourself will lead to cravings later, so get the good stuff in now before you end up ordering the french fries later.
– Fat: Almonds, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Olives, Chia Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Avocado, Tahini, Olive Oil. Fuel with a healthy fat. The key word here is healthy! When choosing a fat, stay away from saturated sources and go for a clean unsaturated fat in moderation. Guideline: For nuts and seeds use one handful, for avocado use one quarter, and for heavier dressings use 2-3 tbsp.
– Dress it up! Use these freely: Lemon or Lime Juice, Balsamic Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Dijon Mustard. You can also top your salad with a spoonful of my Smokey Eggplant Dip for a flavorful dressing.
NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION BOWL
2 cups Kale, chopped
1 cup Spinach
½ cup Carrots, shredded
½ cup Red Cabbage, shredded
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
¼ cup Quinoa
¼ cup Chickpeas
¼ of an Avocado
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
In a large bowl, add the bed of greens. Top the salad with the carrots, bell pepper, cabbage, quinoa, chickpeas, and avocado. In a small bowl mix the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard. Adjust accordingly and drizzle over the your bowl of goodness. Mix it up and enjoy!
Now you just can’t say no to salad. Grab a bowl and dress it up your way with your resolution.
How do you plan to follow through with your goals for this year?
Tara is the founder of TheWholeTara food blog, which spreads the joy of eating and sharing whole, delicious meals with ease. Tara has a Bachelor’s Degree in Food and Nutrition and is a board certified holistic health coach, registered yoga instructor, and published author. Tara does recipe development, food styling, and food photographer. She pairs her nutrition knowledge and culinary techniques to develop whole recipes that are not only a beautiful addition to the kitchen table, but will also become lifelong household staples. Be sure to follow @TheWholeTara on Twitter, Instagram, and her website, www.TheWholeTara.com.