One of the most popular items we’ve seen lately in our Instagram and feeds are “bliss balls” — the no bake, no fuss, no prep snack that anyone can make. The main ingredient can vary from chocolate, to coconut, apricot, peanut butter, and so on. Yet everyone time I see one, I can’t help but think back to ol’ Pete Schweddy and his Schweddy Balls. (As you may recall, that’s an old SNL skit with Alec Baldwin; he played Pete Shweddy on ‘NPRs Delicious Dish’ and he shared his recipe for his Schweddy Balls.) This recipe isn’t as well-known as Schweddy’s, but it will be just as memorable.
When these sweet treats popped up in our Instagram feed from Healthy French Wife, I just knew I had to try share them (and try them!). They’re the perfect way to start your weekend and would make a great “gift for no reason at all” for someone you appreciate. (For more on showing gratitude, hit up our Instagram discussion from earlier this week.)
CHOCOLATE BLISS BALLS
- 1 cup of raw cashews or almonds
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of water
- Mix the nuts in your food processor.
- Add in the dates then mix well.
- Add in the cacao and a pinch of salt.
- Add in the water – more or less depending on the consistency. You need the balls to stick together, but still be able to roll them.
- Roll them with the palm of your hands and keep in the fridge.
Optional: you can add different nuts, goji berries, desiccated coconut, dried figs, roll them in cacao, coconut or chia seeds. The list of variations is endless.
Thanks to Claire for allowing us to share her recipe! What’s your favorite variation of Bliss Balls? Tell us in the comments below!