What Are Your Guilty Pleasures?
I love questions like this because balance is part of healthy living, something I’m constantly reminding my clients just as much as it serves as a reminder to myself. We have to make those little moments for the “guilty” pleasures- although I have to say, I call them just pleasures, no guilt needed or involved ladies. Own those pleasures, it’s all about Living Whole and Eating Well!
1. Standing in the kitchen in my PJs, shamelessly eating almond butter out of the jar
2. Dark chocolate…anything
3. Watching reruns of Sex in the City
4. An occasional gin and tonic with lime
5. Sleeping in if my body is telling me it’s not ready to wake up
6. Being completely selfish and marking an entire day off- no emails, no calls, no texts, no social media. Just nature, peace and quiet, and whatever I want to do!
7. Reading gossip magazines and websites
8. Embracing my inner-nerd and reading nutrition textbooks on a Saturday night
9. Making a routine night of having a total spa session with girlfriends or solo painting nails, facials, lighting candles, the whole thing!
10. Coffee. I have a love hate relationship with coffee- I love it, my body hates it, but it tastes so good!
DARK CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
2 large avocado (or 4 small)
¼ cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (adjust to your desired thickness)
2 tablespoons of raw organic cocoa powder
½ bar of your favorite high quality dark chocolate, melted
2-3 dates, pitted
1 tablespoon of coffee/espresso
½ teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of cacao nibs (optional topping)
1 tablespoon of shredded coconut (optional topping)
Melt the dark chocolate over a stovetop (or microwave safe bowl).
Combine the melted chocolate sauce with the remaining ingredients in a blender or bowl.
Combine all the ingredients using a high speed blender (or a hand mixer).
Blend or mix until creamy and smooth.
The texture will resemble a fluffy mousse.
Spoon into a bowl or wine glass (for some flare) and garnish with toppings of your choice.
LOWER SUGAR // use stevia to taste instead of adding dates
HIGHER PROTEIN // add chocolate protein powder of your choice- you’ll have to adjust the almond milk (increase)
SHARE WITH US:
What are your “guilty” pleasures? Share your favorite television show, dessert, or other pleasure below.
McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN is an internationally known Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Founder of Nutrition Stripped. Nutrition Stripped is one of the top healthy living websites including whole food recipes, meal plans, cooking videos, nutrition advice, t-shirt line of wearable healthy inspirations, and an incredible community of millions of people who are inspired to live a healthier, happier, and more radiant life. McKel lives in Nashville, TN; yet she hosts retreats, and coaches and consults privately for individuals and high profile brands all over the world. The Nutrition Stripped Cookbook will be published in early 2016.